What is Group Discussion?
Group discussion forms the primary stage of contact between the interviewer and interviewee.
In this methodology, the group of candidates(may be in between 6 to 10, depends on the bank) given a topic or a situation, given a few minutes to think about the same, and then asked to discuss among themselves for 15-20 minutes.
What skills are judged in group discussion?
· Your listening skill.
· Your attitude and confidence.
· How you put forward your views.
· How you behave and interact with group.
· Your analysis skill and subject knowledge.
· Your leadership and decision making skills.
· How good you are at communication with others.
Generally the GD is organized in round fashion that can be shown below:
The 10 things you have to remember while performing in GD:
1) Keep eye contact while speaking:
Do not look at the evaluators only. Keep eye contact with every team member while speaking.
2) Initiate the GD:
Initiating the GD is a big plus. But keep in mind – Initiate the group discussion only when you understood the GD topic clearly and have some topic knowledge. Speaking without proper subject knowledge is bad impression.
3) Allow others to speak:
Do not interrupt anyone in-between while speaking. Even if you don’t agree with his/her thoughts do not snatch their chance to speak. Instead make some notes and clear the points when it’s your turn.
4) Speak clearly:
Speak politely and clearly. Use simple and understandable words while speaking. Don’t be too aggressive if you are disagreeing with someone. Express your feelings calmly and politely.
5) Make sure to bring the discussion on track:
If by any means group is distracting from the topic or goal then simply take initiative to bring the discussion on the track. Make all group members aware that you all need to come to some conclusion at the end of the discussion. So stick to the topic.
6) Positive attitude:
Be confident. Do not try to dominate anyone. Keep positive body language. Show interest in discussion.
7) Speak sensibly:
Do not speak just to increase your speaking time. Don’t worry even if you speak less. Your thoughts should be sensible and relevant instead of irrelevant speech.
8 ) Listen carefully to others:
Speak less and listen more! Pay attention while others are speaking. This will make coherent discussion and you will get involved in the group positively. You will surely make people agree with you.
9) No need to go into much details:
Some basic subject analysis is sufficient. No need to mention exact figures while giving any reference. You have limited time so be precise and convey your thoughts in short and simple language.
10) Formal dressing:
Do not take it casually. No fancy and funny dressing. You should be comfortable while speaking in group. Positive gesture and body language will make your work easy.
Some of the GD topics:
· Reservation in Education?
· Effect of cinema on Youth?
· Is China a threat to the Indian?
· Is dependence on computers a good thing?
· Religion should not be mixed with politics?
· Education in India compared to foreign nations?
· Is it necessary to have religion caste based census?
· Position of Women in India compared to other nations?
· Foreign Television Channels are destroying our culture?
· Should the public sector be privatized? or Should the private sector be nationalized ?